What is the disorder?
Down syndrome, is a condition in which a person is born with an extra chromosome. It affects children's ability to learn in different ways, but most have mild to moderate intellectual impairment. These children can and do learn, and are capable of developing skills throughout their lives. They simply reach goals at a different pace.
Red Flags to watch out for
- Decreased or poor muscle tone
- Short neck, with excess skin at the back of the neck
- Flattened facial profile and nose
- Small head, ears, and mouth
- Upward slanting eyes, often with a skin fold that comes out from the upper eyelid and covers the inner corner of the eye
Cognitive & Behavioral Signs
- Short attention span
- Poor judgment
- Impulsive behavior
- Slow learning
- Delayed language and speech development